Constantine Cavarnos Has Passed
++
2011-03-09 16:14:16 UTC
I am sure that everyone here has read at least one of the books of
Constantine Cavarnos in English. What a beloved author. May his
memory be eternal. I am sorry not to have known on the day of his
passing. His soul is surely with the righteous

http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2011/03/constantine-cavarnos-
schemamonk-and.html

Constantine Cavarnos, Schemamonk and Professor, Has Reposed
(1918-2011)

(The following encomium was written by Archpriest Joseph Frawley in
honor of
the late professor and schemamonk Constantine Cavarnos.)

The noted author and lecturer Schemamonk Constantine (Cavarnos) fell
asleep
in the Lord on the morning of March 3, 2011 at St Anthony's Monastery
in
Arizona, and was buried there the same day.

Dr Cavarnos was born in Boston in 1918, and graduated from Harvard
University, where he also received a Doctorate in Philosophy. He
taught at
several colleges in America, and contributed articles and reviews to
various
publications through the years. In 1956, he founded the Institute of
Byzantine
and Modern Greek Studies in order to promote interest in Orthodox
spirituality,
philosophy, and modern Greek culture.

He lectured in schools, seminaries, and parishes in this country and
abroad,
where his clear, lucid presentations were always well received.

Dr Cavarnos wrote nearly one hundred books including volumes on
philosophy,
theology, and the very popular series of Modern Orthodox Saints. His
first
book A DIALOGUE BETWEEN BERGSON, ARISTOTLE, AND PHILOLOGOS was
published in 1949. His latest, THE PHILOKALIA, VOL. 2, was released
just this
year.

Although he began his career with philosophical studies, he progressed
to the
true philosophy, which is how the Church Fathers describe monasticism.
Dr
Cavarnos admired the monastic life, and wrote several books on the
subject.
Even while living and working as a layman, he seemed to be detached
from the
world. The late Greek Orthodox Archbishop Michael used to call him "a
monk
living in the world." Meeting him, one sensed that here was a man of
true
piety and prayer.

In the course of his career, Dr Cavarnos knew many prominent people.
He has
written of his long friendship with the Greek iconographer and writer,
Photios
Kontoglou, who brought about a revival of Byzantine iconography. He
also
knew some of the Orthodox Church's great Spiritual Fathers, such as
Archimandrite Philotheos Zervakos.

When Dr Cavarnos lost his sight, he embraced the monastic life and
was
tonsured at St Anthony's Monastery in Florence, AZ. I believe he
always
intended to end his life in a monastery, and that this was the
fulfillment of his
fondest wish.

It was my privilege to know Dr Cavarnos for almost forty years.
Whenever my
wife and I would travel to the Boston area to visit family, we always
tried to
make time to visit him at his home in Belmont, MA. He was a major
influence in
my life through his books, lectures, and paternal counsel. Our
conversations at
his home were just like his books: uplifting, edifying, and soul-
profiting. His
books remain as his legacy, and will continue to inspire and instruct
future
generations of those who seek the heavenly Kingdom.

There was an understandable sadness when I heard that he had
completed
the course of his earthly life. However, there is also a sense of joy
because he
is, I believe, with God and with all the saints who ever lived.

May the Lord be merciful to the ever-memorable servant of God,
Schemamonk
Constantine, and give him rest in Abraham's bosom, and number him
among
the just.
Catherine Jefferson
2011-03-09 18:04:40 UTC
http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2011/03/constantine-cavarnos-schemamonk-and.html
I wasn't aware that Dr. Cavarnos was a monk. Apparently that was in the
last few months or couple of years, though.... He was either ninety-two
or ninety-three at his death, so he had a long and definitely productive
life. His translation of the Philokalia is wonderful, a real gift to
all of us, and he wrote a number of books that I've found valuable over
the years.

Memory eternal!

Under His mercy,
--
Catherine Jefferson <***@ergosphere.net>
Blog/Personal * <http://www.ergosphere.net/>
The SpamBouncer * <http://www.spambouncer.org/>
JamesD
2011-03-10 02:13:59 UTC
Memory eternal. He has entered into his reward for a faithful life.
++
2011-03-10 04:57:16 UTC
Post by JamesD
Memory eternal. He has entered into his reward for a faithful life.
He had not only a faithful life but one that produced faithful lives
in others. His contributions toward a resurgence toward traditional
Byzantine iconography from several centuries flirtations with western
art in the Church was perhaps forged out of his long association and
friendship with the iconographer Photius Kontaglou but productive even
of Kontaglou's own production. There are sorts of series within his
interests that became productive, whether discussing iconography,
music, and architecture or very abstract philosophical or theological
topics. His own institute's website is here:

http://ibmgs.org/index.html

One of his most recent books, one I have been meaning to order, is on
John of Damascus.
AGG
***Memory Eternal.
w***@gmail.com
2014-10-02 05:37:04 UTC
Why did they give a statement from a priest, as if only he has anything valuable to say and worthy of our attention? why not quote a layman who was moved by his life?
Steve Hayes
2014-10-02 07:35:55 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
Why did they give a statement from a priest, as if only he has anything valuable to say and worthy of our attention? why not quote a
Who is "they"?

Who is the priest?

What did he say?

What on earth are you talking about?
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
++
2014-10-23 05:07:26 UTC
Post by Steve Hayes
Post by w***@gmail.com
Why did they give a statement from a priest, as if only he has anything valuable to say and worthy of our attention? why not quote a
Who is "they"?
The person to whom you are writing is responding to a post from three years ago. Follow the thread backwards and you can see to which post he refers
Post by Steve Hayes
Who is the priest?
What did he say?
What on earth are you talking about?
This fellow is probably one of the extremist protestants which you have invited to arc-eo through your profligate cross posting.
Post by Steve Hayes
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Such an amusing sigfile. Sorry to personally disappoint.
Steve Hayes
2014-10-23 08:08:04 UTC
Post by ++
Post by Steve Hayes
Post by w***@gmail.com
Why did they give a statement from a priest, as if only he has anything valuable to say and worthy of our attention? why not quote a
Who is "they"?
The person to whom you are writing is responding to a post from three years ago. Follow the thread backwards and you can see to which
If a person is posting something from three years ago, they should quote the
bit they are replying to. They should do that any way, but even more in the
case of an old post.

If people can't be bothered to do that, I can't be bothered to look for it.
Post by ++
Post by Steve Hayes
Who is the priest?
What did he say?
What on earth are you talking about?
This fellow is probably one of the extremist protestants which you have invited to arc-eo through your profligate cross posting.
You said you were going away because there was no much nastiness here. I see
you've brought your own nastiness back with you.

Give it a break.
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
James Douglas
2014-10-23 19:54:31 UTC
And YOU, unworthy deacon, should stop CROSS-POSTING. In an almost single-
handed fashion you have destroyed arceo. I realize your pride will not
allow you to receive correction.
James Douglas
2014-10-23 19:56:16 UTC
Post by Steve Hayes
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
anal characteristics of my own of which I'm not proud. Lord have mercy.
James Douglas
2014-10-02 14:13:27 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
Why did they give a statement from a priest, as if only he has anything valuable to say and worthy of our attention? why not quote a layman who was moved by his life?
This was three years ago! Have you been in some sort of time warp? What ARE
you talking about? What is your point?
++
2014-10-23 05:02:23 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
Why did they give a statement from a priest, as if only he has anything valuable to say and worthy of our attention? why not quote a layman who was moved by his life?
Hi, wilh,

This is a thread from three years ago. A Greek Orthodox fellow, John, has a website dedicated to Orthodox matters. He posted a eulogy about this professor who became a monk because the priest and his wife had known Dr. Cavarnos and spent time with him over a forty year period and so would know a lot about him. Beyond that, why speculate? Anyone can write a eulogy. And Dr. Cavarnos taught at a seminary, i.e. a place that trains priests.

A lot of people were moved by his written works and faith. He made his non academic books affordable and accessible, too, in paperback.

Here is where I originally read the article which I pasted. You can read another one, too and see a couple pictures of hieroschemamonk Constantine.

http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2011/03/constantine-cavarnos-schemamonk-and.html

Here is a book containing his correspondence with the iconographer Photios Kontaglou

http://www.ctosonline.org/new/TM.html
v***@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
2014-10-29 04:02:42 UTC
Cavarnos ModGrkThough 1986 1969 0-914744-11-9

p12 Modern Greek Philosophy.. existential orientation (2) Personalism. (3)
Idealism or Transcendentalism. (4) THe ranking of philosophy above science.
(5) The ranking of Christian teaching above philosophy. (6) Christian
eclecticism. (7) The use of ancient Greek philosophy as preparatory discipline

p13 [Theodorakopoulos] "Man has a depth of immense potentialities;
this is the soul"

p14 He notes that Kierkegaard, whom twentieth century Existentialism
regards as its creator, declare that he is a pupil of Socrates.. Geoegoulis..
notes that St Gregory of Nyssa, anticipating the views of modern
existentialists, rejects so-called objectification

p15 personalilty is the highest value, to which everything else is
in principle subordinate.. identical with the soul

p16 "Dialectical Personalism." Frangos seeks to reconcile the scientific
vision of the world with the spiritual, in which personality is the supreme
value

p17 The ultimate end of the State [Tsatsos, 1975-79 President] says in his
Studies_in the_Philosophy of_Law, is neither power nor material
hapiness. THese are only means, usually necessary for the attainment of its
true purpose, which is education for virtue.. [Idealism] affirmation of a
reality other than the material, physical world

p26 Androutsos here rejects the custom that has prevailed in the West of
having two kinds of ethics, one religious and the other philosophical. This,
he says, goes back to the medieval "double truth" theory, according to which
what is theologically true may be philosophically false, and vice
versa.. there must be one ethics.. must "utilize the materials provided both
by the external and by the Christian tradition"

pp50-1 In 1950 there was published in Athens, in English, a book entitled
Towards_a Christian_Civilization. Though written by Alexander Tsirintanis
(1903-), Professor of Jurisprudence at the University of Athens, it expresses
not only his own avowed beliefs but also those of more that twelve hundred
Greek professional men, including two hundred scientists.. "Coming to grips
with the evil at its roots will mean in substance an opposition to the
negation of Christian values. It was on that negation that the edifice of the
civilization, whose ruins we are witnessing today, was built"

p61 Benjamin of Levos. "Only then is man a likeness of God, when he has
rendered himself actually rational and virtuous; and in order to become
acually rational and virtuous one needs training and education" Alos
characteristic is the following statement by the [diplomat] poet George
Seferis (1900-), who was awarded the Nobel Prize in 1963: "Learning is one of
the noblest exercises of man and one of his loftiest aspirations. Education
is the ruling factor of his life. And since these principles are true, we
must not forget that there is good education - that which liberates man and
helps him develop fully according to his nature - and bad education - that
which perverts and dessicates and is an industry producing pseudo
intellectuals" [Dokimes, 1962 p180]

p65 Reason as conceived by these and other modern Greek writers is not to
be identified with the reason of Western rationalism, but rather with that of
the ancient Greeks, particularly Plato, and the Byzantines. It is not only
discursive, but also contemplative, intuitive, capable of a direct apprehension
of reality and of value. Reason is capable of distinguishing beauty from
ugliness, and good from evil, as well as truth from falsehood. Even
theologians, who tend to emphasize conscience as man's moral guide, assert
the moral function of reason. Thus, Theotokis remarks that "reason (logos) is
a light that illumines man in the distinction between good and evil"; while
St Nektarios [Hypotyposis 1893 pp67-8] says: "Reason teaches an what the will
of God is, what good and evil, the just and unjust are, and guides deeds
towards ideal perfection"

p68 calls reason a "merchant" and a "peddler".. unbridled imagination is
Kazantsakis' ruling faculty.. derived from Scopenhauer's cosmic voluntarism,
Bergson's pantheistic evolutionism, Marx's materialism, and Nietzsche's
nihilism